All countries and regions face the common challenge of finding new pathways to growth in an increasingly competitive global economy. Developed economies are challenged by smaller – faster growing – competitors with highly educated workforces and a keen desire to move up the economic value chain. Emerging markets must navigate the transition from a natural resources or commodity based economy towards more intellectually intense forms of production and export lead growth.
At Innovia Ventures we do not believe the world is flat. Each country starts with a unique landscape; fields and plains of opportunity from which new innovations and businesses can grow but cut through by the rivers, hills and mountain ranges of economic challenge. Finding the path to sustainable economic growth starts with an understanding of that terrain, then building upon it; exploiting current advantages while investing in the new competencies and capabilities which will deliver longer-term growth.
You will find that Innovia Ventures approach to economic growth strategy is quite different to other practitioners. We do not start with frameworks, models or systems based on our preconceived ideas about what you need. We do not believe that the words innovation, economic development, process and system fit together very well. Innovation-led economic growth cannot be manufactured, it emerges from a carefully cultivated and nurtured environment.
At Innovia Ventures we help you create that environment.
Innovia Ventures can help you if you are:
- An economic development agency confused about which strategies can create the foundation for sustainable growth
- Minister of Economic Development looking to create an environment which fosters entrepreneurship and innovation
- Leadership of a natural resource or commodity based economy looking to create a -higher value – knowledge based economic future
- Minister of Industry for a commodity based economy looking for ways to increase the value of its products in the global market
- A National Research Council who needs to dramatically improve the commercialization of locally generated ideas and innovations
- Manager of your country’s sovereign wealth fund looking to leverage your investments for better local economic development outcomes
- A senior civil servant responsible for driving cross-agency integration and operational efficiency reforms
- An e-Government agency frustrated by the lack of citizen participation and adoption of your services
Questions we can help you answer:
- What sectors of our economy would benefit from a national innovation and investment strategy?
- How do cultural factors impact the choices and trajectory of economic development?
- Which of the many “Innovation Systems” – if any – the right fit for our economy and situation?
- How do new models of public/private partnership help me innovate in government service provision?
- How and what can we learn from Silicon Valley and is any of that relevant to me?
- What kind of research institutions should I fund to drive economic growth?
- How do I find new global markets for our homegrown research outputs?
- How do I create an environment that attracts independent venture capital?
- What can I do aboute the out of control costs for government IT service provision?
- How should I think about the impact of new forms of social media on commerce and innovation strategy?
With the extensive expertise and experience at our disposal these questions represent only a narrow range of the problems we can assist with. We look forward to hearing about your unique needs and discussing how Innovia Ventures might be able to help.